Family pictures can be such a stressful thing. Figuring out a good photographer, the right location, and let’s not even talk about outfits! I have a few tips and tricks that have worked for me, I am no where near a pro at family pictures, but I love how these turned out!
1. First find a good photographer. If you have friends or family that have had pictures you love ask them! They will be thrilled to hear someone liked their pictures enough to ask who took them.
2. Location, figure out what kind of look you want. Do you want an urban look? Fall leaves? Country? After you figure out the look you want, then tell your photographer. He/She will have a list of places they love and are familiar with.
3. Outfits… This is where everyone gets nervous! What to wear! First think about the type of location that you told your photographer that you want. We did fall leaves, so we went sweaters and then also a dressy look. For the casual look we went with a color palate of plum, grey, mustard, and black. Don’t stress out if the top you want to wear has more colors in it then the palate. It makes it look not so matchy matchy. (Like my moms top). Try not to match too much, but stick to the color palate. For our dressy look, I wanted a classic look so we went with black and whites. I absolutely love how they turned out!
4. Wear a little more makeup than an ordinary day. Faces can tend to get washed out in pictures, so make sure that you wear a little bit more makeup to really bring out your features. Not so much that you don’t feel comfortable, but just add a little bit to your everyday look.
5. Make sure everything fits who YOU are. Your personality really shines through on pictures, make sure that everything captures who you and your family are. For example, I am all about getting dressed up and the biggest jewelry, so I wore my favorite statement necklaces in the pictures below. My husband loves to wear Hurley, Quicksilver, and brands like that so he wore a graphic tee. Don’t buy clothes that you won’t put on again. That doesn’t mean that they capture who you are! We all want the perfect family picture, but that doesn’t always show how we always have a sad crying child or that you can’t get your little boy to sit still. My mom has a dance picture from me when I was little. I always cried the whole way to dance, while I was at dance, and on the way home ha. In this picture I am screaming and crying. I am reaching for my mom. We always look back at that picture and laugh that dancing just wasn’t for me. It brings back such memory of that time and shows my personality during that period of my life. Embrace the laughing photos, or even the picture of your child crying. It will truly show who you are!
I hope these tips and tricks will help to ease your picture worry! If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them!